Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 4, 2019

God's economy, goats and lye

2012 Arwen & Ashley
Through the years,  I believe we've been more of a ministry than a homestead farm.  We've given tours, hosted on farm culinary education, and homestead mentoring.  As long as I enjoy it, I'm glad to share my time, knowledge, experience, equipment, raw materials and recipes.

There were some "learn the hard way" times that dimmed my enthusiasm.  But I try to keep in mind that my life is bought with a price, and when I am DOING, if I'm doing as unto the LORD, it's all good.

God's economy is a beautiful aspect of His kingdom.  It is amazing to hear the stories of God working in other believers' lives.  And, praise the Lord, I am thankful to see God working in my life.  Up close and personal.

We sell extra goats throughout the year.  The goats have the whole reproducing after their own kind thing down pat.  Each freshening, we keep one or two and sell the rest.  We HAVE eaten goat, but it's been a few years.  I think the last goat processing appointment I had scheduled at Fort Valley State University (Small Ruminant Center) was when Hurricane Irma came through.  We cancelled that appointment due to the weather, and ended up selling those goats here instead.

In 2018, we lost a bit of money on one goat sale.  My fault - nobody's fault but mine.  I somewhat knew this local livestock person, having met years previously through an up-the-road-neighbor-friend.  I sold this person a goat kid on a payment plan.  After they finished making their payments, they picked up their goat kid.  No problem.  They expressed interest in one of our mama goats.  After we came to agreement on price, the person loaded up the mama goat with agreement to pay "next month."  I said since they were faithful to pay, and known for a number of years, I would trust them and their word.  They came back a month later not to pay but to ask for another goat.  I reminded them of their balance due, and said I would not do further business until that was paid.  Have not heard back since, so I let it go and figured it was a valuable learning experience.

At year end, I was discussing this situation with my husband, and asked what should we do about the mama goat balance still due on our square store.  We agreed we'd  just zero it out.

A short while later, I got a call from a very sweet sister in Jesus, who I had taught how to make soap a few years prior.  She was cleaning out her craft stuff, and came across a bunch of lye leftover from her soapmaking.  She asked if we could use it.  I seldom make soap, but Grace makes big batches of vegan-friendly soap a few times a year for soap customers.  So I said, yes, we sure can, and just let me know how much I can pay her.  She laughed and said this is a blessing from the Lord.

The dollar value of the lye and the dollar value of the mama goat are the same.  Praise God.  Thank you Jesus!    Dear Lord, please bless this dear sister in Jesus!  And dear Lord, please bless the mama goat person too.  Thank you Lord for provision, for family & friends, for health and strength and daily bread.  Thank you Lord for salvation by/of/through/Jesus and His precious blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment