Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Error of omission... error correction

Repent:  for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.  (Matthew 4:17, 10:7)

I'm thankful to still receive correction, even when it is coming from a young person.  Early 2018, we had some folks over for dinner.  I shared how thrilled I was to have received a senior citizen discount when grocery shopping, even though I had not reached the store's senior discount age (I was 53 when the incident occurred).  I said that I could have corrected the cashier's error, but preferred to benefit from the error and keep the discount.  Their teenage son carefully, thoughtfully, paused and then remarked "And it's not REALLY lying..."  I laughed and said I guessed not.

Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. (Galatians 6:1)

But I reckon it really was.  My bad.  I thought about this quite a bit, in the back of my head,  the rest of the evening, and off and on for several weeks.  MONTHS, actually.

Thank you, Jeremiah!  Bless you.
Not too long after, while driving through Leslie, GA, I was discussing this (my error needing correction) with my youngest daughter, just before being pulled over by a police officer for speeding.  Oops.  My bad.  My fault.  Nobody's fault but mine.

 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.  (James 4:17)

So, do I care that I was speeding?  Yes.  (Not just because the ticket cost $194.25, which I paid by phone April 2018 [cheaper than driving to court, for sure], but because I ought not to have been speeding!)
But woe unto you (me), Pharisees!  for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God:  these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.                   (Luke 11:42)

And do I care that I neglected to speak up to the grocery store cashier about my premature-senior status?  A few shades short of honesty?  Yes. 
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)
I was wrong to not speak up about my age (it has been a long time since I've been too young for something...).  And I was wrong to be speeding.  I don't want to be a bad example for my daughters, and I do not want to be a bad "billboard for Jesus."  As a believer, my life is bought with a price.  I ought to practice what I believe on.

What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?      God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?    (Romans 6:1&2)

I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid.  I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin.  Selah. (Psalm 32:5)

I've reacquainted myself with the cruise control button and pay closer attention to speed limit signs.  I've asked my family to help with that (if I'm not heeding the traffic signs or signals, SPEAK UP, please).  I've adopted a stop sign ritual (with my foot on the brake, I think/say:  1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000); this helps me stop instead of pause at stop signs.  I am trying to listen more carefully to what others say to me, and what I say to others:  is it true?  is it of good report?  etc.  To help me actively listen to the preacher (my husband) Sunday mornings, I take notes - scripture references, admonitions, instructions.  With the Lord's help, I'm hoping to maintain a teachable spirit and be able to receive constructive input from those around me.

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
(Philippians 4:8) 

No comments:

Post a Comment