Total Pageviews

Friday, January 20, 2012

Moving vs. Staying Put

My Dad's birthday is at the end of January.  This year he'll be 86.  He used to say "Old is older than I am."  Now he's admitting that time has caught up with him.  Even though he admits to senior citizen status, Dad is in amazingly good shape.  His big focus right now is polishing up his memoirs – I hope & pray the Lord helps Dad to finish this project that means so much to him.  And I also hope & pray that my Dad trusts in Jesus for his eternity, but that’s another story.

On our recent visit to my Dad’s & stepmom’s, he asked me if I had enjoyed moving around so much as a kid.  I laughed.  I answered like this:

Well, Dad, how many times has Tian moved since he’s been on his own?  What about Lal, especially since he’s had young’uns? 

And let’s see, before Bryant & I had young’uns we moved every year or so.  After we had Teresa (our oldest) we stayed in Stuarts Draft, VA,  for thirteen years. 

We’ve been at our current Box Springs, GA, homeplace for ten years.

No, Dad, I don’t enjoy moving.  I usually get kind of ill just thinking about it.  I get attached to people & places.  I put down roots and don’t like relocating.

I didn’t like the public school experience of being the new kid.

I did tell my Dad that I knew I learned a lot of amazing things from all the moving when I was young.

I’ve told my Dad many times that I realize that if our lives had taken different directions then I probably would never have met my husband, or had our three wonderful girls.  They are the most important parts of my life, and I don’t regret being a wife or mom, most of the time ;)  So even though there have been some hard memories along the way, I’m thankful for how they’ve brought me to NOW.

After the doings of the land of Egypt, wherein ye dwelt, shall ye not do: and after the doings of the land of Canaan, whither I bring you, shall ye not do: neither shall ye walk in their ordinances. 
Leviticus 18:3

No comments:

Post a Comment