Total Pageviews

Friday, June 28, 2013

for Lisa & Sandra - a custom goat milk soap order favorite

DISCLAIMER:  FOLLOW STANDARD COLD PROCESS SOAP PROCEDURE (NOT TO BE ATTEMPTED BY NON-SOAPMAKERS).  WHEN MAKING SOAP YOU ARE WORKING WITH SODIUM HYDROXIDE, OR LYE, WHICH IS A CAUSTIC, DANGEROUS CHEMICAL.  WEAR PROTECTIVE SKIN, EYE & RESPIRATORY EQUIPMENT & WORK IN A WELL-VENTILATED AREA.  AUTHOR IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE OR INJURIES.


This is my original recipe.  If it ends up being close to someone else's, that is a happy coincidence.

Lavender Peppermint Goat Milk Soap Recipe

7.9 oz lye
10 oz filtered water
10.2 oz goat milk
4 oz almond oil
16 oz olive oil
16 oz organic palm oil
17.4 oz organic coconut oil
20 grams castor oil
24 grams raw organic cocoa butter
56 grams shea butter


8 grams grapefruit seed extract

5 grams Vitamin E oil
2 ounces Lavender Essential Oil
1.2 ounces Peppermint Essential Oil

Note:  Often when I make this soap, I split the base up and leave a portion plain unscented and the other portion scented with pure essential oils.  I mark my molds ahead of time, to keep things less confusing.  I also tend to use 4" square molds for most essential oil soaps, and tend to use round molds for plain unscented soaps.

Once I get the oils & butters measured & melted, I add the GSE & Vitamin E oil to that, stirring well.
I stir periodically while I wait for the lye/water/goat milk mix and the oil/butter mix to get to 100 degrees F.  Some folks add a smidgeon of goat milk at trace, and still call the end product goat milk soap.  We are blessed with dairy goats that keep us in goat milk a plenty.  I've used all goat milk in place of water, and find the end product very rich, and need to use more essential oil to balance out the scent.  So after trial & error I opt for close to 1/2 filtered water and 1/2 goat milk.  I go ahead and mix the goat milk & water together & then add lye.  It reacts immediately - starts saponifying the goat milk fat.  I just keep stirring and don't worry about it.  If this bothers you, wait 'til after the lye/water mix and the oils are blended well, then add the goat milk.  

I add the Pure Essential Oils at trace.

I let the soap goo insulate in molds for 2 to 3 days.  Then I  remove, cut & lay out to cure.  After 2 weeks I label.  Should be ready to use 3 weeks from original date of manufacture.  I label each bar, listing all ingredients & date of manufacture, weigh, wrap & then ship or hand deliver.

Exodus 3:8a  And I am come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land unto a good land and a large, unto a land flowing with milk and honey;

Proverbs 27:27  And thou shalt have goats’ milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens.



No comments:

Post a Comment