Total Pageviews

Monday, September 10, 2012

All Tied Up In Knots

My grandmother (my Dad's mom) first taught me to crochet way back when I was a teenager, or maybe a preteen.  Just basic crochet, nothing fancy.  She made afghans, purses, and all kinds of things.  Grandma baked a lot too.  And sewed.  A wonderful grandma-role-model.

That saying "if you don't use it you lose it" was true for me with crochet.  When it came time for my first little one to come along all I could remember was how to chain and double crochet.  So when Bryant & I were expecting our firstborn, I double crocheted a very basic afghan.  Bryant didn't want to know if we were having a boy or girl - he wanted to be surprised.  I wanted to know, but I have a hard time keeping things quiet so we opted to NOT know gender when ultrasounds came 'round.  And I just KNEW the baby would be a boy... Just in case, I chose pastel baby blue, pink & yellow for the baby's afghan.  HA!  Teresa came along right on time late Spring 1988 - a beautiful little girl!

As each young'un came along our lives were a little more complicated & busy, and I had less time for creative endeavors.  Our youngest is still waiting for me to finish the comforter I began when she was in diapers... Time flies!

Bryant & I are expecting Grandbaby #2 in December, praise the Lord!  So I decided I really needed to be making some granny squares.  A very sweet Christian ladyfriend, Mrs. Wauk, showed the girls & me how to make granny squares. 

Grace & Katie didn't enjoy the granny square as much as I have.  

 Katie took what Mrs. Wauk taught her and is cranking out really cool hay bale string scrubbies.

Grace decided crochet was too frustrating, and bought a How To Knit book & some knitting needles.  She's knitting a dish cloth for her first project.

 
I'm happy with how my first crib size granny square afghan turned out.  I'm hoping to sell it locally so that I can repay my hubby for all the yarn I bought.  I opted for some basic gender neutral colors I thought might do well around here:  red center, white middle, black outside.



Here are some crochet links that have been helpful and inspiring.
Proverbs 31:13  She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.
Titus 3:3 - 5
The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,
To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

1 Thessalonians 4:11  And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;
Ephesians 4:28  Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment