Total Pageviews

Friday, February 4, 2011

the soap thing

I began making soap several years ago for a lot of reasons.  First because most of us in our family have sensitive skin - different sensitivities. 

Most days I wash my hands at least a dozen times - with the wrong soaps, that will wreak havoc on my skin.  Years ago someone told me that you can tell the age of a woman by her hands.  I'm not HUGE on vanity, but the appearance of my hands is a point of concern for me.  I don't want my hands announcing my age (although I'd tell anyone who asked w/very little hesitation).  I also don't want them announcing where they've been in the last 24 hours... so I wash them frequently, and moisturize often.

Natural hand made stuff just seems so RIGHT ♥  I don't feel the need to make EVERYTHING so, when I find someone else who makes something natural that works & I have peace about the ingredients, I'm all for keeping them in business!

I have recently added another dimension to the whole soap thing - teaching others.  Sharing the joy of soapmaking is even more fun than just making soap.  I taught my first local student in December 2010.  GREAT fun!  So cool to be creative with kindred spirits, and to know that others are out there helping to keep our community naturally clean ;)

My second student was my high school friend, Terri, in January 2011, during a recent trip to Virginia.  Terri is a Chemistry major, so she knew far more than I before we began.  And knows so much more than I ever will today.  More great fun!
    • "Terri Student here... I had so much fun learning to make soap, and contrary to Tonia's thoughts, I didn't know much, but I read up! I had forgotten how soap works. Cool substance. BTW, I'm actually an Environmental Science major with experience in chemistry, but Env. Sci. majors LOVE to dig in the dirt, so we really need the soap."  (added from Terri's email received 2/5/11)
I highly recommend all of Terri's vegan soaps, but my favorites are her awesome liquid soaps ♥

Both students shared some of their first soap batches, for which I am very grateful.  Clean karma.
I still love to make soap, and will continue to do so as long as the Lord allows.  And I will continue to teach others I have peace about, as they come along.  Because there's so much dirt in this world, the more soapmakers the better!

Philippians 4:8 
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment